When it comes to DIY wedding ideas, many couples fall into the trap of believing that DIY always means a cost savings to the wedding budget. However, this isn’t always the case and it’s really important from the outset to figure out your true costs. This means that along with your cost of materials that your time and labour, plus calculating any time needed on the day of the wedding to execute your DIY plan really need to be properly forecast.
If the difference in price is minimal, using a professional vendor is always a sensible choice. Not only is the piece of mind priceless, you should always get a better product hiring someone who has done it all before. But if it is a labour of love and you are wanting to add your own personal touches, don’t be over ambitious. Pick a few key elements that you’d love to work on, but do them really well. Don’t be tempted to take on too much. The last thing you want to do is to have any resentment on the day of your wedding because you are utterly exhausted.
When it comes down to deciding on whether you want to DIY wedding reception centrepieces, we’ve got a few little thought starters you may want to discuss with your partner to help you figure out if you have the time, patience and money to make it all happen on the day.
DIY Centrepiece Ideas
- Floral Arrangements
- Non Floral Pieces e.g. candelabra, fruit, birdcages, paper flowers
- Potted plants, herbs, succulents, terrariums etc
- Candles, lanterns, hurricane vases
Before You Commit Ask Yourself These Questions
- How much time will you need in the lead up buying all the materials you will need. Figure out what your existing salary is charged out at an hourly rate and put a dollar sign next to it.
- How much time will you need assembling everything?
- Can the assembly be done in the lead up to the day?
- If there is assembly required on the day, who will be responsible for this?
- How do you plan on transporting your centrepieces to the reception, and can they take early delivery or must this be done on the day of the event?
- How much time is the venue allowing you for set up on the day, and is the person responsible able to do this job in the allocated time?
- Do you really have confidence that the finished product is going to be something you will be happy with. Redo is expensive.
- Does someone have to pack up at the end of the evening, if so who will this person be, and how will they transport everything home?
Partial DIY Ideas
If after thinking about the response to all these questions hasn’t exhausted you then congratulations, you are ready to DIY it up! If you are thinking that you are still up for the challenge, but some of the questions are stumping you (for example – who is going to flawlessly bring your table centrepieces to life on the day of the wedding!) then we have a brilliant solution for you. We do have two packages ideal for the partial DIY wedding creative type. Our short day package is very reasonably priced and the hire periods start at a minimum of 3 hours. You will have at your finger tips our experienced professional services to execute everything perfectly, leaving you to worry about more important things. Do you really want to palm off the job to a friend or relative? And you don’t need to worry about packing up either if you take us up on our dismantle service same day pack down and delivery service.
But if you find yourself struggling to come up with the answers, or it causes angst or arguments, then maybe you are better off just outsourcing to a professional vendor or coming up with a simpler wedding centrepiece design and focus on DIY design elements that you can control. Get in touch with us to discuss your event and your budget and we’d be happy to come up with some ideas to suit your inner creative and your budget.